NAVIGATOR VOLUNTEER SERVICES (NVS)
REPORTS TO: Clinical Lead (CL)
This part-time employee (24 hours / week) reports to the Clinical Lead (CL) at the Sudbury Hospice. The primary purpose of this position is to provide administrative support for the Visiting Hospice Service, a team of volunteers who support individuals and families in the community who are facing a terminal illness, with a prognosis of one year or less, and the Residential Volunteer Service, a team of volunteers who provide support at the Hospice in a variety of roles (kitchen, reception, gardening, maintenance, residential care). The Navigator will also act as back-up to, and will work collaboratively, with the Shared Care Team Navigators.
- – Successful completion of, or work towards a diploma in medical office administration or equivalent, from a provincially accredited community college or university
- – Experience in hospice palliative care preferred
- – Minimum of 3 years of experience in an administrative function
- Other Skills/Abilities
- – Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Outlook
- – Keyboarding skills of 40+ wpm
- – Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must
- – Fluency in both (oral and written) French & English languages
- – Strong organizational skills with attention to details
- – Ability to multi-task and to work well in a fast-paced environment
- – Availability to work occasional weekends and fluctuating work rotations
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assists with coordination of appointments for individual assessments when necessary.
- Manages volunteer and client files.
- -abulates statistical data for reporting to Ministry of Health and long-Term Care and the North-East Local Health Integration Network.
- Ongoing systems management ensuring proper technical support and troubleshooting when necessary e.g. internet, computer systems, databases, telephone systems, etc.
- Designs, types and proofreads documents such as correspondence, reports, spreadsheets and forms.
- Performs reception duties including answering telephone, directing calls, taking messages, answering routine inquiries.
- Assists the Navigators and the Executive Assistant in coordination of supply inventory.
- Arranges internal and external meetings, workshops, educational and/or training events by booking meeting rooms and/or sites; confirms room set-up, equipment and refreshment requirements.
- Informs the public and other service providers of Visiting Hospice Service. e.g. how to access the service; types of supports provided; who provides the service etc.
Works collaboratively to ensure that services are provided based upon the client’s/caregiver’s needs within the parameters of our established policies and procedures.
- Ensures all general inquiries are responded to in a timely manner.
- Monitors confidential records management and ensures that confidentiality of information is established and adhered to. Rectifies any concerns identified.
- Respects and ensures client/caregiver’s privacy and highlights potential concerns or issues that may occur e.g. breach of confidentiality.
- Monitors match between clients/caregivers and volunteers, ensuring volunteer roles and limitations are clearly defined. Reports any issues to the Clinical Lead.
- Assists with volunteer recruitment, onboarding and training.
- Acts as backup to the Shared Care Team Navigators and Client Services Coordinator.
- Assists in maintaining accreditation evidence and preparing for annual audits.
- Performs all tasks in compliance with VHS accreditation requirements.
- Performs all duties in accordance with legislation, the SH mission statement, and organizational and administrative policies and procedures.
- Works in a safe and healthy manner, and follows the regulations outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Participates in SH and community events that contribute to garnering support for the SH, as requested.
- Completes tasks as set out in the Strategic Planning (SP) working document.
- Adheres to deadlines to meet objectives.
- Reports on a regular basis to supervisor regarding progress on personal SP work plan.
KEY RELATIONSHIPS AND INTERACTIONS
- Internal:, Clinical Lead, Client Services Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, Shared Care Team Navigators, Executive Assistant
- External: Clients, Volunteers, Families
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the SH.