Hospice Palliative Care Team
The community Hospice Palliative Care Team (HPCT) is a group of health care providers who deliver integrated, multi-disciplinary, hospice palliative care to clients in their homes and/or in consultation with other health care providers.
Roles of the Hospice Palliative Care Team
- It is a community-based program providing hospice palliative care services in the last 12 months of life.
- Assists in building primary care capacity by coordination of joint home visits by a member of the team with the most responsible practitioner.
- Manages the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of clients and families, in their home, in consultation with other health care providers.
- 24/7 contact with palliative care nurse for those patients followed solely by our Team.
- Provides education and additional support services to enable clients to live and die in the location of their choice.
- Ensures seamless transition to Hospice based on client’s choice.
- Provides grief & bereavement support, through one-on-one interactions, and discussion/support groups.
- Makes referrals to the Visiting Hospice Service to ensure volunteer support for your family.
Who can be referred to the HPCT?
- Clients with a life limiting illness that have a prognosis of 12 months or less.
HPCT Referral and Admission Process
Referrals are accepted from:
- Primary Care Physicians
- Nurse Practitioner Clinics
- Home and Community Care Nurse Practitioners and Care Coordinators
- Long-Term Care & Nursing Providers
- North East Cancer Center Symptom Management Clinic (NECC SMC)
- A self-referral will trigger a call to the Most Responsible Physician to discuss the integrated role of the HPCT
Dr. Linda Tenhunen
Dr. Candice Walton
Manager of Supportive Care & Grief Services
Community Team Members
Palliative Nurse Practitioner – Claire Warren, Danielle Drouin, Home & Community Care
Advanced Practice Nurse – Barb Ballantyne, NECC SMC
North East Cancer Centre Symptom Management Clinic
North East Community Care Access Centre (NECCAC)
Care Coordination – Palliative Team