Residential Volunteer Services
Sign up for our volunteer training sessions today!
We are offering free 30 hour Palliative Care Training for individuals interested in volunteering directly with residents and/or our community clients. After successfully completing the training, and according to the needs of our organization, the volunteers are asked to complete a minimum of 4 hours of service per month. The minimum age requirement to obtain the training is 18 years of age.
The training is offered in English and French and consists of 10 series composed of 3 hour sessions:
Due to the pandemic situation, a new training schedule will be posted later once the sessions are ready to restart.
At Maison McCulloch Hospice, our volunteers make a world of difference. With limited staff resources, our volunteers provide much needed support to our various programs and assist us in working with our residents and clients, as well as with our various fundraising initiatives. We couldn’t do it without them!
For further information on volunteering, refer to contact below.
Tel . : 705-675-9252 poste 231
Fax. : 705-674-5393
These individuals provide a warm welcome to residents and visitors of the Hospice. Duties include:
- Answering the telephone
- Greeting people as they enter
- Providing information to our residents, visitors, guests, and callers
- Guiding individuals to staff and other volunteers, as necessary
- Accepting donations over the telephone and in person
Administrative volunteers play a valuable role in the Hospice’s daily operations. Their functions may include:
- Computer work
- Answering telephones
- Administrative support
- Library organization
Duties of volunteers on this team include general fundraising and involvement in the following events and activities:
- Maison McCulloch Hospice Annual Gala
- Adding Life Campaign
- Boardwalk Gaming Val Caron
- Kinsmen Showcase Home
Volunteers will assist with the following tasks, while supporting the staff members:
- Preparing meals
- Organizing and cleaning the kitchen area
- Preparing snacks and refreshments for the residents
- General tidying
Property & Building Maintenance
Duties of volunteers on this team may include:
- Painting and touch-up needs
- Handyman repairs
- Light housekeeping to keep the home tidy
These volunteers are responsible for the following tasks in all of the gardens on the Hospice grounds:
Resident Service volunteers, or Direct Volunteers, are people who work directly with the Hospice residents and their families. These volunteers come to us from all areas and all backgrounds, and offer a variety of skills and knowledge. All Resident Service volunteers must attend a 30-hour training course which introduces them to the concepts of palliative care and helps to prepare them for their work with our residents. The volunteer role, on any given day, depends on the wishes of the residents and their families, in keeping with the Hospice’s philosophy of being “resident-focused”.
A Resident Service volunteer is:
- Compassionate and sensitive to residents and families facing a terminal illness.
- Skilled in working with people; friendly, open, flexible, able to meet others on their own terms, a good listener.
- Able to understand and adapt to different cultural, racial, sexual, spiritual, and intellectual needs of residents and family members.
- Aware of other people’s needs and able to meet those needs as a result of previous life experiences and ongoing training.
- Able to let their person, not their skills, be the healing agent.
- Self-confident, able to function independently, and able to problem-solve with the assistance of other team members when necessary.
- Able to recognize fears and limitations.
- Able to recognize that they will not always be needed by the resident and/or family.
Visiting Hospice Services
For information on the roles of these volunteers, please click here.
Board Committees & Working Groups
Volunteers attend meetings of the committees and working groups to contribute their knowledge and feedback in the following areas:
- French Language Services
- Fund Development
- Volunteer Services
For more information, or to join the committees, please contact Colette Peepin by email at firstname.lastname@example.org